Frequently asked questions

The following is a compiled list of the most common questions we usually get. This information comes from ICO Drones own interpretation and experience with the Spanish authorities (AESA).

We are not lawyers, we are technicians and engineers so any legal interpretation might be different.
What is the process to register as an operator in Spain?
Simply put, the process is as follows:
  1. Request permision for test flights;
  2. Execute the test flights;
  3. Register as an operator.

Both for the test flight permission as for the operator registration you need to submit certain documents.

What requirements does a person need to have in order to fly an RPAS?
  • Regarding theoretical knowledge, one of the following:
    • A valid pilot license (ULM, private, commercial, military...) or that has been valid within the las 5 years
    • For aircraft weighin ≤25kg, take an officially approved AESA course (see list).
  • Regarding practical knowledge, a certificate specific to the aircraft being flown
  • A medical certificate, either:
    • LAPL (for aircraft weighing ≤25kg) or
    • Class 2 (for aircraft >25kg)
  • Be 18 years old
Who can issue a practiacl knowledge certificate?
One of the following entities:
  • The aircraft manufacturer or official delegate company, or
  • An ATO flight school, or
  • The operator (to its own pilots)
Where can I get a Class 2 medical certificate?
These certificates can only be issued by approved medical examiners (see list).
What documents are required to request operator approval?
To register as an operator one must submit the following documents:
  • Operations manual
  • Aircraft maintenance program
  • Aircraft characterization/description
  • Operational safety study
  • Test-flight reports
  • Pilot documents (certificates)
  • Liability insurance documents
  • Official registration form
What do the different acronyms/abbreviations (RPAS, UAS, UAV) stand for?
For several decades drones have been officially been called Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). A few years ago the International Civil Aviation Organization proposed using Unmmanned Aircraft (UA) to designate all types of drones. Within the UA group, those requiring a remote pilote are considered Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA). Including the S at the end (UAS, RPAS) refers to the complete System (aircraft, control station and radio link).